MeijiShowa — historical images of Japan between the 1860s and 1930s all imagesphotographyillustrationsmapscalendar [ ? ] view cart (0)

101105-0006 - Amigasabashi Bridge

PURCHASE A LICENSE

Nagasaki Meiji 1890s Unknown
Amigasabashi Bridge (編笠橋) over the Zeniyagawa River (nowadays called Nakashimagawa River) in Nagasaki. The arched stone bridge, built in 1699, connected Imahakata-machi (今博多町) with Motokamiya-machi (本紙屋町). It was destroyed by the great flood of Nagasaki in 1982 (Showa 57). The bridge derives its name from men visiting the red-light district that used to be located here. They would be wearing fuka amigasa hats (bamboo hats) to conceal their face. In the background Suwa Shrine can be seen on the mountain slope.
Kjeld Duits Collection BridgesCity Views
Find similar:
Kimiyabashi, Kyushu, Nagasaki, Nakashimagawa, Zeniyagawa, architecture, bridges, cities, engineering, rivers, stone bridges
Share |
1 Year License Editorial Advertising Packaging
Small (Web)
1MB/72dpi
USD 45.00 USD 89.00 USD 115.00
Medium (B6)
10MB/300dpi
USD 110.00 USD 140.00 USD 160.00
Large (A4)
23MB/300dpi
USD 140.00 USD 170.00 USD 185.00
Larger sizes available. Contact Us!